Sports are one of the few things in life that promotes competition and inspires us to strive for excellence and train our bodies and minds to outperform our peers. But the impact of sports on our bodies is not equal, as it depends on the type of the sport you practice. Because of this, we have come up with a list of the top 6 Healthiest Sports.
1. Swimming: Swimming is an absolutely great sport for your heart. It keeps you at a healthy body weight, improves lung capacity, and builds muscles, plus burning calories. Best of all, swimming can be done anytime of year at an indoor pool. Also, it is a sport that you can practice as any age because of its low-stress nature.
2. Cycling: Cycling classes are very interesting and are available everywhere. Moreover, cycling is a very good workout. It is a low-impact way to burn a many calories and it also makes you feel happier and makes your brain perform much better.
3. Running: Those who run regularly are less likely to experience bone and muscle loss as they age at the same pace as those who do not run regularly or at all. The bones grow and become stronger by responding to physical demands. It is also great for mental and overall physiological health. Running causes a release of endorphins to produce the famed “runner’s high.”
4. Tennis: One hour of tennis burns 600 calories and that is why it is on top of the list of the best aerobic activities. All the little sprints, pivots, slams, and serves in tennis channel your strength and require you to exert energy in short but powerful bursts. This type of activity is incredibly effective in developing fitness and expanding lung capacity.
5. Basketball: Not only is basketball an incredibly tiring game to play, but it strengthens your health on many levels. It also increases spatial awareness, fosters decision-making capabilities, reduces stress, helps immensely with coordination, and develops confidence. For each hour of competitive basketball, a 165-pound person can expect to burn around 600 calories, while a 250-pound person can burn up to 900 calories.
6. Squash: Forbes has named squash the #1 healthiest sport in the world for many years in a row. It burns calories, increases aerobic fitness, boosts flexibility, develops strength and power, and improves hand-eye coordination.