Sugar wax or sugaring is a natural yet effective hair removal method that has been around for ages. Although there are many methods for removing hair such as waxing, shaving and laser hair removal, some of these methods are painful or can cause damage to your skin. On the other hand, sugar wax is a cheap, effective hair removal method and it will not cause damage to your skin. If you are interested to know how you can make sugar wax at home and how to use it, read out the following article.
The ingredients you need to make sugar wax are:
– Granulated Sugar, brown or white (1 cup)
– Water (4 tablespoons)
– Lemon juice (4 tablespoons)
1. Combine these ingredients in a pan and turn the stove on the medium heat.
2. Allow the mixture to thicken and take a golden color.
3. Stir the mixture with a silver/metal spoon ensuring the sugar granulates dissolve.
4. After the frothiness has appeared, keep mixing it for 5-8 minutes, it will thicken considerably and take on a syrupy consistency.
5. Once its color turns to a darker brown, take the pot off the stove and let it cool for a couple of minutes, or it is better to pour the wax immediately into a jar because it will stick to the pot making it very hard to clean. Note: If the mixture is not very sappy and syrupy, and the color is not a dark auburn or dark brownish, this means that it is not ready to use and you need to put it back on the stove and cook it some more.
6. Once it cooled it should be malleable but still warm. Liquid wax will burn you. Now you have the right consistency, so you can apply it to your skin.
How to Apply:
• Using a butter knife, spoon, your hands, or a thick wooden popsicle stick, scoop out a glob of wax and roll onto a ball.
• Press the ball onto the area you need to wax and use your fingers to spread the wax over that area. Or, you can get paper sheets and put them on top of the wax and smooth it out.
• Pull the wax in the opposite direction of your hair growth like a bandage. You should be able to pull the wax off with your finger if you are not using a waxing strip.