Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a chronic condition that affects millions of children and often continues into adulthood. Coping with kids that suffer from this condition is not an easy challenge and feeding those kids can be extra challenging. That is because the medication can decrease their appetite and that the foods they eat can have an impact on the severity and frequency of their symptoms. For example, foods that contain artificial sweeteners, foods that contain high amounts of sugar, saturated fat or caffeine and processed foods can have been linked to triggering ADHD symptoms in children. So every parent has to know the good and the bad foods for his/her child to manage ADHD symptoms properly. Below are the 5 best foods to feed children with ADHD.
1. Eggs: Eggs are a great source of protein. Protein is essential in maintaining a balanced diet and controlling symptoms in children with ADHD. Eggs will improve concentration and increase the time ADHD medications work.
2. Spinach: Spinach is one of the most effective vegetables that help in controlling ADHD symptoms in children. Doctors often recommend leafy green vegetables and spinach is most definitely at the top of that list. You can add spinach to your child diet in many ways and if he refused to eat it, you can mix it with any fruit in a smoothie.
3. Salmon: Salmon is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and it is one of the healthiest fish you can eat. Try to make your child eat salmon at least once a week because this will help alleviate some of ADHD symptoms your child might be experiencing.
4. Dried Fruits And nuts: Dried fruits are a great source of fiber for your child. They have little protein, but they go well with nuts, which can provide the protein needed in an ADHD diet. And nuts are also a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids. Walnuts and Brazil nuts have been shown to have the most impact when managing ADHD symptoms but other types like almonds are a great alternative as well.
5. Apples: Apples are a great source of complex carbohydrates. Doctors have recommended that children with ADHD should increase their intake of complex carbohydrates. Eating these types of foods right before bed has also been known to help children sleep better.