Toothpaste is an essential thing for everyone as we start and end our day with brushing our teeth. But the ingredients found in commercial toothpaste including sodium fluoride, synthetic dyes derived from petroleum or coal tar, sodium hydroxide, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide, artificial sweeteners, and triclosan might make us think twice about the products we use for our teeth. Although we’re not actively swallowing the stuff, there is always a risk to that a bit of them may slink down the gullet from time to time.
So if you are concerned about the numerous health risk associated with those ingredients, you can try the natural toothpaste recipes. They are very easy to make and the ingredients used in these DIY recipes are readily available and extremely beneficial for oral health.
Here are 3 DIY Homemade Natural Toothpaste To Keep Your Teeth Healthy:
1. Coconut-based Toothpaste
2 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoons of baking soda
10-15 drops of peppermint extract
½-1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
• In a bowl, put the extra-virgin coconut oil, and then add the baking soda.
• Mix the previous ingredients with the peppermint extract and the last step is to add the turmeric powder and mix all the ingredients until you get a smooth paste.
2. Simple Toothpaste
– Ingredients: 1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, finely ground
1 drop peppermint, clove, or citrus pure essential oil
A few drops of water
• Mix the ingredients in a small bowl and combine thoroughly until a thick paste is formed.
• Store in container and brush, there will be no plaque formation and your mouth will feel fresh.
3. Vegan Toothpaste: Several commercial toothpastes contain glycerin to help maintain the product’s texture and it is usually of animal origin. But if you want a vegan toothpaste that contains glycerin, you can try this recipe.
– Ingredients: 2 teaspoons vegetable glycerin
4 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon guar gum
8 tablespoons water
5 drops peppermint, clove, or citrus pure essential oil
• Place all the ingredients except essential oil in a pot and cook on low heat, stirring frequently, for five minutes or until the mixture becomes a paste.
• Allows the paste to cool, and then add essential oil to taste.
• Store in a jar at room temperature. Use as usual.