Sleep plays a vital role in person’s health and wellbeing. Getting enough sleep allows your body to relax and heal as well as reduce levels of stress. Lack of sleep can cause our health to suffer many mental, physical, and psychological problems. Many people tend to use sleep medications to get proper sleep and such medications can have many side effects. Fortunately, there are natural aids that can help you fall asleep and promote muscle relaxation. Below are some of these natural aids that will help put you to sleep:
1. Magnesium and Calcium: Magnesium or calcium deficiency can cause you to have trouble sleeping. They both are sleep boosters and they achieve the best results when they are taken together. According to researchers, the calcium is important because it helps the cells in the brain use the tryptophan to create melatonin (a natural body-producing sleep aid).
On the other hand, studies have shown that higher magnesium levels can help prompts a deeper sleep since magnesium is a calming nutrient. Remember that it is recommended to take magnesium and calcium together as magnesium can cancel out any potential heart problems that might arise from taking calcium alone.
2. Valerian: Is a hardy plant with roots that are loaded with many healing properties and these roots are used in many ways as a sedative and sleep aid. Valerian works by increasing the amount of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) which helps regulate the action of nerve cells in the brain leading to a calming effect. Its calming effect makes it a popular natural remedy for anxiety. You can drink it as a tea or you can go with a capsule form.
3. Chamomile: Chamomile is a traditional herbal remedy that is known for helping people fall asleep. It relaxes your muscles and acts as a sedative. Chamomile is available in the form of tea at health foods stores and supermarkets.
4. Melatonin: Melatonin is a hormone that is produced by the pineal gland in the brain. Melatonin regulates sleep and circadian rhythms. Synthetic melatonin is a popular dietary supplement that is sold as a sleeping aid and antioxidant.
5. Saint John’s Wort: Saint John’s Wort is usually used to help with depression. And studies show that depression may lead to a lack of sleep, thus Saint John’s Wort can help promote sleep. It is thought that its main constituent-hypericin works by reuptake inhibition, which raises the overall level of serotonin in the brain. More serotonin will lead to more melatonin which results in better sleep.