Coconut oil has become very popular as it is used for many beauty and cooking purposes. But do you know that it can be used for babies too? Yes, this magical oil can do wonders for your baby. If you want to know how to use it for your baby, here is a list of 5 uses of coconut for babies.
1. Cradle Cap: Cradle cap or dry scalp is a condition that affects many newborns during early weeks after birth. Coconut oil can work wonders in this situation. It will not only nourish your baby’s skin, but it also helps eliminate cradle cap. Just rub a teaspoon onto scalp daily. Let the oil stay on for 20 minutes and then use a baby comb or baby hair brush with very soft bristles to brush off the flakes, then you can rinse your baby’s hair with lukewarm water.
2. Baby Acne: Coconut oil works well for treating baby acne because it contains large amounts of lauric acid which is well known for being antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral. These antiseptic essential fatty acids found in coconut oil help prevent and eliminate bacterial infections when taken orally or applied directly to the skin. Apply a thin layer of coconut oil onto affected areas with baby acne twice daily until the acne fades.
3. Chicken Pox: To ease the pain and itching caused by chicken pox, use coconut oil both internally and apply topically. This will relieve itching, reduce inflammation, and reduces the severity and duration of the illness.
4. Insect Bites: Babies are more prone to insect bites than us and because they have sensitive skin the bites result in itchiness and swelling. So to help relive the itchiness, go for coconut oil. Take some coconut oil in your hands and rub it between your palms to warm it up. Now apply it gently on your baby’s skin where the insect bite is visible. Make sure you do not rub down hard as it may cause more pain and discomfort to your baby. Apply the coconut oil and leave it on till your baby’s next bath time. You will soon notice an improvement in swelling and redness.
5. Teething Pain: The phase your baby goes through during teething can be full of pain that can cause your baby to be irritable and may also interrupt with regular feeding routine. Coconut oil has natural anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe inflammation that is often caused as part of teething and causes pain and discomfort to your baby. Take a little amount of coconut oil on your fingers and gently dab on your baby’s gums.