Parenting a baby is a hard yet enjoyable task that requires a great effort from the parents. Parenting a baby is not only about feeding, rocking, and so on, but there are also a number of things you can do early in your child’s life to help his brain grow and to makes him smarter. Your baby’s brain will develop through various experiences and exercises. Senses of touch, smell, sight, sound and taste will also aid this development process. With some fun ideas and practical tips, you can help your baby be smart, intelligent and creative. Read on to know the best ways to raise a smart baby.
1. Breastfeed Your Baby: Studies suggest that babies who are breastfed will have at least five percent higher IQ levels than those who were not. Breastmilk contains innumerable ingredients — some that are not able to be replicated in any laboratory, and some that are. One ingredient is called DHA, which is an essential fatty acid that is responsible for early brain development as well as ongoing brain health.
2. Read to Your Baby: Starting to read to your baby at any time is such a great idea and will instill a love of reading and books in your baby. You can read aloud to him from any book or story that you are reading. Speak out the words so that your baby can hear them, stress on the pronunciation. You can introduce board books with interesting pictures to your child as he grows older.
3. Interact More With Your Baby: According to scientists, constant interaction with your baby can vastly improve his brain development. Cuddling, playing and expressing your love to the baby will stimulate his brain. When you interact more with your baby and bond emotionally, it helps in the development of your baby’s thinking skills. It will also make your baby more secure and confident.
4. Encourage Creativity: Once your baby is old enough, sit him on the floor with some enormous crayons and big pieces of paper and let him explore what happens when color is applied to the paper. Being brainy isn’t only about words and numbers — artistic expression is an excellent way to build your baby’s brain.
5. Introduce your Baby to Musical Instrument: Studies suggest that listening to music can increase your baby’s attention span and boost his memory. Introducing your child to a musical instrument will help develop his proportional thinking ability. Learning music nurtures his spatial and temporal reasoning and develops his numerical aptitude in later life.