No doubt that a Kid’s health is the top priority of every parent. And the first step in maintaining a good health is eating healthy food. Parents should give a great attention to what they are feeding their kids because sometimes there are foods that parents think are nourishing and delicious but actually have very little nutritional value. Many foods specifically manufactured for and marketed to children are lacking in nutrients, full of sugar and highly processed. So, if you want to know what are the foods that you shouldn’t feed your children, here are 5 of the worst foods that you shouldn’t feed your children.
1. Breakfast Cereals: Breakfast cereals are one of the foods that many parents consider as healthy choice for breakfast, but this is not right. Cereals contain a high amount of sugar and processed ingredients and that is why experts say that some kids’ cereals contain the same amount of sugar and nutritional value as cookies. So you should check the ingredients list to make sure that the brand you are going to buy contains at least 3-grams of fiber per serving and less than 10 grams of sugar.
2. Hotdogs: Highly processed meats like hot dogs and some deli meats contain high amounts of nitrites, fat, and sodium. Just one hot dog can contain as much as half the daily fat and sodium recommendations for kids. Increased consumption of red and processed meats are associated with an increased risk of coronary heart disease, obesity, and diabetes.
3. Sugary Drinks: We all know that soda is harmful as it contains much sugar and it is one of the biggest reasons behind childhood obesity. But what about juices? In fact, many varieties are just 10 percent juice, and the rest 90 percent are loaded down with additives and sugar.
4. Hard Candies and Lollipops: Hard candies and lollipops are essentially just sugar and artificial colorings and flavors. They are harmful to teeth because they stay in the mouth for extended periods of time and may cause caries or cavities. Hard candies are especially bad news for children with braces, retainers or fillings, as these may become damaged or dislodged.
5. Packaged Pasta: Packaged pastas like macaroni and cheese, canned spaghetti and ramen noodles can have more sodium in one serving than is recommended for a child in an entire day. The white noodles with enriched flour are also lacking in fiber and essential nutrients.