Pomegranate is one of the healthiest fruits on the earth. Some ancient cultures have praised the pomegranate as a symbol of eternal life, fertility, health, and the “fruit of paradise.” Pomegranates are loaded with nutrition and are known for their high antioxidant content. Pomegranates are also a great source of other antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium, and zinc. To know more how beneficial is pomegranate, here are 5 amazing health benefits of pomegranate.
1. Reduces Inflammation: Pomegranate contains anti-inflammatory properties due to its vitamin C content. Also, because of being anti-inflammatory in nature, it treats a sore throat, asthma, wheezing, and coughing. One study in diabetics found that 250 ml of pomegranate juice per day for 12 weeks lowered the inflammatory markers CRP and interleukin-6 by 32% and 30%, respectively.
2. Lowers Stress Levels: Pomegranates can lower oxidative stress in the body, and they can reduce psychological stress as well. In a 2012 study published in the Journal of Nutritional Science, Queen Margaret University researchers found that pomegranate juice could reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol in 28 volunteers. Cortisol is often elevated when a person is under stress. Study participants consumed either 500 ml of pomegranate juice or 500 ml of a placebo drink.
3. Normalizes Blood Pressure: Pomegranates can lower high blood pressure which is a major cause of strokes and heart attacks. It’s the punicic acid in pomegranates helps lower blood pressure. In one study, people with high blood pressure had a significant reduction after consuming 150 ml of pomegranate juice daily for 2 weeks.
4. Helps Treat Joint Pain and Arthritis: Pomegranate can also improve osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and overall joint pain. In a 2005 study published in the Journal of Nutrition, pomegranate extract and its compounds were found to block enzymes that can cause joint damage. Researchers concluded that pomegranate extract could impede cartilage dilapidation in osteoporosis and help maintain joint function.
5. Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease: Punicic acid, the main fatty acid in pomegranate, may help protect against several steps in the heart disease process. In a study in 51 people with high cholesterol and triglycerides, 800 milligrams of pomegranate seed oil per day for 4 weeks was shown to significantly lower triglycerides and improve the triglyceride: HDL ratio. Another study looked at the effects of pomegranate juice in people with type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol. They noted significant reductions in LDL cholesterol, as well as other improvements.