Olives are one of the most loved foods as they have very special flavor. Many people add olives to pizzas, pasta, and sandwiches to maximize the flavor but olives also offer unbelievable health benefits. In this article, we are going to talk about 7 health benefits of olives.
1. Control Appetite: Eating 10 olives before meals reduced appetite by 22% according to studies in Italy. Olives contain monounsaturated fatty acids which slow down digestion and stimulate the hormone cholecystokinin, a hormone that sends messages of satiety to the brain. Moreover, these acids also stimulate the production of adiponectin, a chemical that burns fat for five hours after ingestion.
2. Prevent Cancer: Olives help in avoiding cancer as they contain up to 16 grams per kilo of important cancer-fighting agents like acteoside, hydroxytyrosol, tyrosol, and phenyl propionic acids. Also, both olives and olive oil contain considerable amounts of other compounds regarded to be anticancer agents such as squalene and terpenoids, as well as the peroxidation-resistant lipid oleic acid.
3. Reduce Wrinkles: Thanks to oleic acid found in olives, which keeps skin soft and healthy, eating olives daily can improve the appearance of wrinkles by 20%. In addition, olives contain vitamin E which is an excellent antioxidant for skin health.
4. Improve Eye Health: One cup of black olives contains 10% of the daily recommended allowance of vitamin A which, when converted into the retinal form, is crucial for healthy eyes. It enables the eye to better distinguish between light and dark, thereby improving night vision. Furthermore, Vitamin A is believed effective against cataracts, macular degeneration, glaucoma and other age-related ocular diseases.
5. Improve Memory: Olives contain polyphenols, a natural chemical that reduces oxidative stress in the brain. Eating a daily serving of olives improves memory by 25% according to research from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
6. Reduce Allergic Reactions: Olive oil had anti-inflammatory properties that are good for those who have allergies. Olive extracts act as antihistamines at the cellular level. By blocking histamine receptors unique components in olive can help reduce allergic reactions. They can increase blood flow and its anti-inflammatory properties help alleviate the effects of diseases such
7. Contain High Amount of Iron: Black olives are very high in iron. The ability of red blood cells to carry oxygen throughout the body is due to the presence of iron in the blood. If we suffer from a lack of iron, our tissues don’t get enough oxygen, and we may feel cold or weak.