Beta carotene, a provitamin that is converted into vitamin A in our body, is a carotene compound responsible for giving fruits and vegetables their orange pigment. Beta-carotene is a powerful antioxidant that has been found to help fight cancer and protect against premature aging. Also, it’s thought to play a role in protecting cells, strengthening the immune system, and helping to keep the reproductive system healthy. To get all these incredible health benefits, we need to include foods that contain this amazing nutrient in our diet. Below is a list of top 7 foods rich in beta carotene.
2. Spinach: It is known that spinach contains a high amount of fibers, but it might be the first time to know that spinach also offers an excellent dose of antioxidants due to its high beta-carotene content. A half cup of spinach offers a healthy 573 milligrams of vitamin A and only 30 calories. So it should be on the top of your diet list.
3. Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are one of the best sources of beta carotene and they also have antioxidant and digestive properties. Eat sweet potatoes without removing the skin and it is recommended to bake them to benefit from their properties. One medium sweet potato has 1, 096 milligrams of vitamin A and 103 calories.
4. Pumpkins: pumpkins are another perfect source of beta-carotene pigment, making it a perfect choice to consume this nutrient. This food can be used both for sweet recipes and savory dishes.
5. Watercress: Watercress is also one of the foods rich in beta carotene. It is an ideal complement to salads and an excellent source of iron, making it a prominent ingredient and highly recommended for anemia sufferers.
6. Squash: The butternut variety of squash contains a healthy dose of beta-carotene good for your health. A good way of benefiting from its properties is to eat it baked or to make a delicious butternut squash puree. Don’t get rid of the seeds inside, as they are a great source of amino acids, making them great for your brain.
7. Cantaloupe Melon: It is an amazing source of fiber and contains a good amount of beta-carotene. You can either eat it raw or make a delicious smoothie with it. Its high amount of vitamin A also makes it great to prevent skin dryness in the summer too.