Cloves are the aromatic flower buds of a tree in the family Myrtaceae, Syzygium aromaticum. This well-known types of spices are often used in cooking and baking. Cloves are rich in potassium, sodium, phosphorus, iron, manganese, dietary fiber, iodine, vitamins K and C, omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, and magnesium. Due to all its amazing ingredients, cloves can play a key role in keeping your body healthy and free from many diseases. Here are 5 mind blowing benefits of cloves.
1. Toothache: Cloves are one of the few natural treatments that can deal with toothaches. Their anti-inflammatory and analgesic components will help reduce the swelling around an infected tooth and relieve pain. Plus, their antiseptic property will help fight the infection in the affected area and prevent it from spreading.
2. Digestion: Due to their carminative properties (prevent gas formation and relieve flatulence), cloves play a key role in the digestion process. They help boost digestion by promoting the production of enzymes present in the digestive tract. In addition, the essential oils in cloves are highly effective in reducing inflammation and killing bacteria in the stomach to help keep stomach infections at bay.
3. Stress: Cloves have a strong yet soothing aroma, which can help you relax and reduce stress. Stress often causes the body’s muscles to become tense. Eugenol, a component present in cloves, is a well-known muscle relaxant. It thus soothes the senses and relieves stress in the body.
4. Cough and Bad Breathe: Cough and bad breath can be cured by consuming cloves. These are very common problems that we all face and can be very well treated by the consumption of cloves on a daily basis. You can do this by including them in your dishes and also as refreshments at any time of the day.
5. Nausea And Vomiting: Cloves can also relieve nausea due to their aromatic and soothing properties. They can even be used to treat pregnancy-related nausea and morning sickness.
6. Acne: Clove oil has been found very effecting for acne removal. It is to be applied topically to the affected areas and can be used to treat acne and related skin problems like blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, scarring and scaly skin. It is often blended with face packs or massage creams for application on the skin. The possibility of acne spreading over the unaffected areas can be eliminated by killing off the bacteria with the help of the antimicrobial properties of the oil.