Turnips are starchy vegetables of Brassicaceae family which also includes cabbage, kale, brussels sprouts etc. Turnip root and leaves both are edible and are extensively used in European, Asian and Eastern American cuisines. Turnips can be eaten in raw, steamed or cooked form. Turnips are very healthy as they contain several nutrients such as vitamins A, C, E and K, niacin, folate, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, riboflavin and thiamin. It also has various minerals like sodium, copper, potassium, iron, calcium, manganese, magnesium and zinc. Due to the healthy supplements present in turnips, they offer a variety of health benefits. In this article, we share some of the top health benefits of turnips.
1. Bone Health: Turnips are rich in calcium and potassium which are crucial for healthy bone growth. The regular consumption of turnips can protect your body from various bone related problems like osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, joint damage etc. Calcium found in turnips is essential for the production of connective tissues.
2. Cardiovascular Health: Due to its high content of vitamin K, turnips possess great anti-inflammatory properties that help in preventing heart attacks, heart strokes, and other heart ailments. The use of more bile by turnip greens to help in digestion results in a reduction in the level of cholesterol present in your body, as it needs cholesterol to produce excess bile. Also, folate found in turnips helps to boost up the cardiovascular system.
3. Cures Asthma: The vitamin C present in turnip makes it a powerful anti-oxidant with great anti-inflammatory properties. These properties are effective in curing asthma and curbing the symptoms of asthma. Studies have proved that giving turnips to asthmatic patients can lessen wheezing.
4. Lung Health: The carcinogens present in cigarette smoke cause vitamin A deficiency, resulting in lung inflammation, emphysema, and other lung problems. The vitamin A contained in turnip greens helps counteracting this defect, resulting in maintaining healthy lungs.
5. Aids in Digestion: This wonderful veggie also aids in healthy digestion. Turnip greens are rich in fibers that help maintain proper functioning of digestive system. According to some researchers, glucosinolates present in turnips help in processing the bacteria Helicobacter pylori and other such bacteria in the stomach.
6. Cancer Prevention: Turnips are rich sources of antioxidants and phytochemicals which are very effective in reducing the risk of cancer. The presence of glucosinolates prevents as well as reduces the effect of cancer. These are natural plant chemicals that break into two compounds while digesting i.e. indoles and isothiocyanates They aid in the processing of toxins by the liver, fights the harmful effects of the carcinogens and also controls and reduces the growth of tumor cells.