Dates which were discovered thousands years ago are one of the healthiest fruits on earth. They are eaten as a regular dry fruit by most of the people. Dates are a good source of various vitamins and minerals, energy, sugar, and fiber. It also contains calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, and zinc. This miracle fruit contains massive health benefits and can be consumed in many ways. Here are only 7 reasons why you should eat dates regularly:
1. Relieve Diarrhea: Ripe dates contain potassium, which is known as an effective way of controlling diarrhea. They are also easy to digest, which further helps alleviate the unpredictable nature of chronic diarrhea. The soluble fiber in them can also help relieve diarrhea, by providing bulk to the bowel movements and promoting normal healthy functioning of the excretory system.
2. Strengthen the nervous system: Dates are loaded with potassium which is one of the prime ingredients in promoting a healthy and responsive nervous system, and it also improves the speed and alertness of brain activity. Also, potassium helps to reduce cholesterol and keeps the risk of a stroke in check.
3. Boost Your Energy: Dates are high in natural sugars like glucose, fructose, and sucrose. When you feel exhausted or sluggish, chew few dates and you will regain your energy immediately.
4. Improve Skin: The vitamins C and D work on your skin’s elasticity, and also keeps your skin smooth. Plus dates also come with anti-ageing benefits and prevent the accumulation of melanin in your body.
5. Reduce the Frequency of Night Blindness: When the leaves of the date palm are ground into a paste and rubbed on and around the eyes, or when dates are ingested orally, it has been shown to reduce the frequency of night blindness, and this solution is commonly used in rural areas where dates grow as an alternative medicine.
6. Assist in Weight Gain: The sugar, proteins, and other vitamins in the fruit help in weight gain, especially when you need it. Incidentally, it’s said that when eaten with cucumber, dates help to keep your weight at a normal level.
7. Fix Hangovers: Dates are commonly used as a remedy for alcoholic intoxication. They provide quick relief and have a sobering effect in case you feel as though have consumed an uncomfortable amount of alcohol. They can also be used the following morning to prevent severe hangovers. Again, they should be rubbed and soaked overnight for the best results.