Fish oil is one of the most commonly consumed dietary supplements out there. It is packed with two of the healthiest fatty acids, namely docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). These components cannot be produced by the body, so we need to get them from food or supplements. If your diet doesn’t include a lot of oily fish, raking a fish oil supplement can be a great option for you to get enough omega-3 fatty acids. Below is a list of 5 definitive health benefits for fish oil.
1. Heart Health: One of the most well-known health benefits of fish oil is its ability to reduce the risk of heart disease. Additionally, fish oil also benefits those who have had a heart attack. It’s been shown to lower the chances of having another heart attack or stroke, and also lowers the risk for abnormal heart rhythms. It also lowers the level of bad cholesterol (LDL), and increases the level of good cholesterol (HDL). Fish oil prevents the accumulation of triglycerides and further reduces the level of excess triglycerides
2. Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Fish oil has anti-inflammatory properties and can help treat diseases that involve chronic inflammation. Fish oil is effective in treating gastrointestinal disorders, Celiac disease, short bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) including Crohn’s Disease and ulcerative colitis, which are both typical disorders of the intestine.
3. Help Treat Certain Mental Disorder: Our brain is made up of nearly 60% fat, and much of this fat is omega-3 fatty acids. Therefore, omega-3s are essential for normal brain function. In fact, some studies have shown that people with certain mental disorders have lower omega-3 blood levels. Interestingly, studies have shown that fish oil supplementation can prevent the onset or improve the symptoms of some mental disorders.
4. Maintain Healthy Eyes: It is well known that fish oil has the ability to improve vision. That is because Omega-3 fatty acids make up certain eye structures. So, a diet rich in omega-3s helps maintain general eye health and even prevent age-related vision loss.
5. Manage Depressive Disorders: Fish oil has also been found to help balance depressive disorders. Surprisingly, that is because people with major depression appear to have lower blood levels of omega-3s. Studies have shown that fish oil and omega-3 supplementation can improve symptoms of depression. Moreover, some studies have shown that oils rich in EPA help reduce depressive symptoms more than DHA.