Millions of people around the world throw away food waste every day thinking that they are useless. But in fact, foods waste is recyclable and can be used in many creative ways to serve many purposes. Here are 10 ways to use food waste that will make you think twice in the next time you decide to throw your food waste.
1. Instead of pouring the used grounds of coffee in the sink, you can reuse them in creative ways. For example, you can put them in plant soil to change the PH-levels, mix them with mushroom spores to grow edible fungi, or even use them to deter felines from entering your garden.
2. Food waste can make great compost for your garden. All you need to do is make a pit for putting this compost in, in your garden and throw all food waste in it everyday. Make sure you don’t add meat or chicken leftovers as that can grab animals to your garden. Food waste is biodegradable, so it will rot and mix with the soil to make great compost. This compost is very good for growing vegetables and even other plants in your garden. Add small portions of this compost to your garden soil and mix well.
3. You don’t need to waste money on buying potpourri, when you can easily do it at home. To do this you need to take all the remaining fruit peels and rinds, dry them in the sun or in a food dryer, then crush it and add the flavor of your choice and you will have a beautiful potpourri.
4. Barbeque grilling needs a lot of coal and fuel to keep it burning for long. Instead use peanut shells. Soak them in water in advance and dry them a bit before use and put them over your coal in the grill. They burn for a long time and keep the fire going.
5. If you like gardening, you will have to sow the seeds to make a seedling. These seedlings need to be taken care off while growing. Use fruit peels like the shell of the watermelon or avocado peels with the pulp removed, etc to plant your seeds in. Once the seedling grows, the peels can be used as the compost when you plant it in the garden.
6. You can use the peels of lemon or lime to brass copper and aluminum items. Such peels contain citric acid that will remove stains and discoloration from those items. They will bring a great shine and clean these things very well.