Table salt is the most used ingredient in our daily cooking. It is what makes the food a lot tastier. While a limited amount of salt is essential for our health, it’s become well-known that excess salt consumption is bad for your health. Aside from using salt for cooking and flavoring food, salt can be used for many other uses. This article we mention 10 surprising household, beauty and health uses for salt.
1. Treats Canker Sores: A salt water gargle will relieve the pain and help draw the fluid out of a canker sore to speed up the healing process. Dissolve 2 teaspoons of salt in a ¼ cup of warm water and stir it well. Rinse your mouth with the solution for at least 20 seconds, then spit it out. Repeat the process 3 or 4 times a day.
2. Treats Insect Bites and Stings: salt can be an effective way to relieve the discomfort of insect bites and stings. Is a great way to help neutralize the venom of a bee or yellow jacket sting. Make a paste of salt and water that will stick to a bee sting or bug bite. Apply the paste, and let sit until dry. This should relieve any itch or pain. Alternatively, combine equal parts baking soda and salt, then brush onto a sting or bite area to help relieve the itch.
3. Remove soot from chimney: A handful of salt thrown onto the flames in your fireplace will not only produce pretty, vivid yellow flames, but it will help loosen soot in the chimney, preventing chimney fires and improving air flow.
4. Deodorize shoes: Get rid of the stink-worsening moisture out of canvas shoes by sprinkling a little salt inside them and then wiping it out. Take care not to use this trick on leather or synthetic shoes, as it could dry them out too much and cause them to deteriorate.
5. Acts as Natural Toothpaste: Salt is a great toothpaste alternative, which you can use to keep your teeth clean and free from bacteria. Salt particles help get rid of plaque on your teeth, which in turn reduces the risk of many oral problems. Dip your moistened toothbrush in table salt or sea salt, then brush your teeth with it. Do this at least once daily. Or mix common salt with an equal amount of baking soda and brush your teeth with the mixture.