Split ends are one of the most common hair complaints among women. Split ends are the result of fraying of the hair shaft due to thermal, mechanical, or chemical stress that wears away the protective outer layer of the hair cuticle. The most effective way to get rid of split ends is to cut them off. If left untrimmed, they tend to break off or continue splitting up the length of your hair. But aside from the fact, that you need to trim your hair on a regular basis to keep it healthy, you can manage split ends by using some natural home remedies. Let us explore a few easy home remedies that will help you get rid of split ends.
1. Egg: The application of egg is one of the best remedies to make your strands free from split ends and dryness. Eggs are rich in protein and essential fatty acids that help treat split ends and as your hair is primarily made up of protein, eggs help strengthen the hair follicles.
• Whisk an egg yolk with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of honey.
• Work it into damp hair and leave it on for 20-30 minutes and wash it off with a mild shampoo and cold water.
2. Papaya: Papaya is a good source of natural amino acids, anti-oxidants, and protein that help nourish your hair and reduce split ends. It also adds body to your hair, removes buildup, and restores your hair’s natural shine and softness.
• Take a ripe papaya and half cup of natural yogurt.
• Blend them to get a pulpy paste.
• Apply to your hair and leave for 30 minutes before washing it off with cold water.
3. Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise works as an excellent remedy for damaged hair. The egg nourishes your hair; the oil conditions it and leaves your hair feeling soft, healthy, and shiny.
• Wet and towel dry your hair.
• Work one-half cup of mayonnaise into your hair.
• Leave it on for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
• Rinse it out and shampoo your hair.
• Repeat once or twice a week.
4. Honey: Due to its humectant property and nutrient content, honey is highly beneficial for dry and damaged hair prone to splitting and breakage.
• Mix some honey and curd till the paste is thick.
• Apply to the ends of your hair.
• Wash it off after 30 minutes or so with a mild shampoo for lustrous, healthy hair.