A stuffy nose is an annoying problem that happens to adults and children as well. Stuffy nose occurs due to inflamed blood vessels in the sinuses, which can be due to a common cold, allergies or the flu. Sometimes it is also caused by a sinus infection. A stuffy nose is often accompanied by other symptoms including coughing, sneezing, difficulty breathing, sinus pain, mucus buildup in the nasal passages, watery eyes, a hoarse voice, a headache and also a mild fever. Stuffy nose problem can be easily treated by natural home remedies that are found in every kitchen. Here are 5 effective home remedies for a stuffy nose.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar: It is high in potassium which helps thin the mucus. Plus, the acetic acid in it prevents bacterial growth and speeds up the healing process. Drink a solution of apple cider vinegar and water to stop a stuffy nose. Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a tbsp of honey to 1 cup of warm water. Drink this solution twice a day.
2. Steam Inhalation: Steam inhalation works as a natural expectorant to clear the blockage. It will also bring relief to the inflamed blood vessels in the sinuses by keeping them moist. Crush 1 tablespoon of carom seeds (ajwain) in boiling water. Now, inhale the steam of this water at least 2-3 times a day. You can also add a few drops of peppermint oil or some Vicks VapoRub in boiling water and inhale its steam.
3. Warm Compress: Warm compress is another effective way to keep mucus thin so that it drains smoothly from your nose is applying a warm compress. Soak a towel in a bowl of hot water, and then squeeze the excess water out of the towel. Fold it and place it over your nose and forehead. Repeat as often as necessary.
4. Garlic: Eat fresh garlic cloves to get a quick relieve in the stuffy nose. It is one of the best effective remedies to cure a stuffy nose. You can also prepare a garlic soup by crushing 2-3 garlic cloves and add them in a cup of boiling water.
5. Ginger: Ginger contains high anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce a stuffy nose problem. It loosens up the mucus, while also giving a boost to the immune system. You can mix together 1 tablespoon of grated ginger and 1 teaspoon each of fresh lemon juice and raw honey. Have it 2 or 3 times a day.