Molluscum contagiosum is a common, yet irritating, skin condition that occurs in children. It is caused by the molluscum contagiosum virus and that is why it’s easily transmitted through direct contact with the skin of an infected person. It produces benign, raised lesions or bumps on the upper layers of your skin. In most cases, there are numerous bumps clustered together and may be of varying sizes. These bumps often appear about seven weeks after being exposed to the virus. While there are invasive treatments, like surgical removal, some parents may wish to try at-home methods to reduce the appearance of these bumps. Here are 4 natural remedies for molluscum contagiosum.
1. Tea Tree Oil: One of the natural oils that can help you get rid of molluscum contagiosum naturally is tea tree oil. It is a natural antiseptic and antiviral agent. When applied topically, it penetrates the skin and fights the molluscum contagiosum virus.
– Dab a cotton ball in tea tree oil to rub it over the skin where the bumps appear.
– You should follow this method 2-3 times on a daily basis.
2. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil has amazing soothing properties that are necessary for the skin. The oil has high contents of fatty acids, which helps to prevent skin from drying out. These fatty acids also have anti-inflammatory properties. Coconut oil can ease the pain caused by molluscum contagiosum and eradicate the bumps on the skin.
– Apply coconut oil directly on the skin several times on a daily basis.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar: An effective treatment for molluscum contagiosum is apple cider vinegar. Being rich in antiviral properties, it helps kill the virus responsible for this infection. It penetrates into the skin quickly and eliminates the source of the infection.
– Use a cotton ball soaked in apple cider vinegar.
– Put the cotton ball over the painful skin.
– After that, use warm water to wash the skin.
4. Australian Lemon Myrtle: Containing many antifungal nutrients, Australian lemon myrtle is one of the most popular home remedies for molluscum contagiosum. It can eliminate the dead cells and improve the growth of new skin.
– Add 1 part lemon myrtle oil to 9 parts olive oil and mix well.
– Apply this solution on the molluscum bumps.
– Do it 3 or 4 times a day for several weeks.