Blackheads are small black bumps that appear due to the pores getting clogged with a buildup of dead skin cells and dirt as well as excess sebum. Basically, blackheads appear on the face, particularly on the nose area. Also, blackheads can develop on shoulders, neck, forehead, and cheeks.
The problem is that they can lead to acne breakouts if left untreated. Fortunately, there are many natural home remedies that have proven great efficiency in removing those ugly bumps.
Here are some natural remedies to get rid of blackheads:
1. Oatmeal: Oatmeal works as a gentle natural cleanser and exfoliant, loosening clogged pores that lead to blackheads. Also, it removes dead skin cells, soak up excess skin oil and soothe irritation.
• Mix one teaspoon of honey and the juice of four tomatoes in sufficient amount of oatmeal to make a paste.
• Apply this mixture on the blackheads.
• Wash your face after 10 minutes.
• For a clean skin, repeat regularly.
Or, you can mix 3 teaspoons of plain yogurt with 2 teaspoons of oatmeal with some amount of olive oil and lemon juice. Apply the paste on the affected areas, leave it to dry and rinse your face with water. Repeat this once or twice a week.
2. Green Tea: Green tea contains vitamins and antioxidants that help to break up excess oil and reduce inflammation.
• Mix a teaspoonful of dry green tea leaves with water to form a paste.
• Gently scrub it over the affected areas for two or three minutes.
• Rinse it off with lukewarm water. This scrub is very effective for oily skin as it cleans the skin deeply and helps unclog pores.
3. Turmeric: This is an excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredient that works well for minor burns and can also treat blackheads.
• Make a mixture of some turmeric powder and two tablespoons of mint juice.
• Apply it to the blackheads and allow it to dry for a few minutes.
• Wash off with lukewarm water.
Alternatively, you can make a paste of red sandalwood, turmeric powder, and milk. Apply this paste on the affected area and leave it for 10 minutes. Wash your skin with water.
4. Egg Whites: Egg whites can tighten skin and minimize pores which make them good for oily skin. They can remove current blackheads and reduce the chances of future blackheads.
• Mix 1-2 egg whites with one teaspoon of honey and apply the solution over the blackheads. Leave it for about half an hour and rinse it using lukewarm water.