Canker sores are small, painful ulcers that appear in the mouth. They start as a red patch of oval skin, then become increasingly inflamed and develop a white spot in the middle. The exact cause of canker sores is not yet known. But some factors that can trigger canker sores are an oral injury, weak immune system, hormonal changes in the body, too much stress, excessive smoking, hereditary factors, certain drugs, anemia, using the wrong oral care products, food allergies and viral infections. Below are some home remedies that offer fast relief and allow your canker sores to heal.
1. Baking Soda: Baking soda is an alkaline and can help neutralize the acidity and soothe the pain and the inflammation. Also, it helps kill bacteria to help your sore heal quickly.
– Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to a ½ cup of warm water.
– Rinse your mouth with this solution.
– Follow this remedy four or five times a day.
2. Sage: Sage kills bacteria and viruses, and contains calming compounds that reduce inflammation and relief pain.
– Steep 2 teaspoons of dried sage in a cup of boiling water.
– Allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
– Rinse your mouth with this mixture 2 or 3 times a day.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide: Hydrogen peroxide has antiseptic properties that will help reduce bacteria in your mouth.
– Steep one tablespoon of 1 percent hydrogen peroxide in a glass of water.
– Use this solution the same way you would use mouthwash. Be sure not to swallow it.
– Do this four or five times a day.
4. Salt: Salt will help heal your canker. Higher concentration of sodium chloride draws water from surrounding tissues by osmosis, which helps heal abscesses and open wounds such as canker sores.
– Mix one teaspoon of salt in one cup of lukewarm water.
– Rinse your mouth with this solution for 30 seconds and then spit it out.
– After completing your rinse, put a pinch of salt directly on the canker sore. This can be painful, but it will help a lot in the healing process.
5. Aloe Vera: Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and curative properties that can speed healing and offer soothing pain relief
– Extract the gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf and apply it directly on the canker sore. Do this several times a day.