Diabetes is a chronic disease that requires medical attention and the patient should follow a specific lifestyle to manage it. For diabetics, eating anything sweet can be risky because it can cause a sudden spike in blood sugar level. And because fruits are naturally sweet, most diabetics think that they should avoid all types of fruits. But, in fact, there are some fruits that can be eaten and that will help to counteract the effects of diabetes. One of these fruits is papaya. Eating papaya can help you stabilize your blood sugar levels naturally. If you want to know more on how papaya can be good for diabetics, keep reading.
1. Papaya does not alter blood sugar levels: Unlike many fruits like mango that have high sugar amounts, papaya despite being sweet has lower sugar content. The glucose level in this fruit is relatively low, making it perfect for diabetics.
2. Improves The Immune System: Thanks to its high vitamin C content, papaya covers almost double the recommended daily dose of this vitamin. This is very beneficial because vitamin C is one of the most powerful antioxidants that nature offers us.
3. Satisfies You Quickly: Thanks to its high content of soluble fiber, eating papaya cuts down your craving to snack on junk in between the meals. A portion of papaya makes you feel fuller and satisfied until it is time for your next meal.
4. Is an important Source of Antioxidants: As mentioned earlier, papaya is filled with anti-oxidants making it a great choice for diabetics. The antioxidants help in preventing the deterioration of the human body’s cell structures. Most diabetics are said to stand a higher risk of contracting heart ailments due to their irregular blood sugar levels. The antioxidants in papaya obstruct or prevent further cell damage thus keeping heart and nervous ailments at bay.
5. Helps With Weight Loss: Another reason to eat papaya is that this fruit stimulates weight loss. This is a necessary requirement for many diabetics and it is not easy. Thanks to it being a fruit with very low-calorie levels and high quantities of soluble fiber, it is good for cleansing of the colon. Moreover, it improves the digestion of fat-rich foods and so it reduces and avoids inflammation and liquid retention.
6. Impedes Progression To Type 1 Diabetes: Diabetes is categorized as type 1 and 2, the former being a more severe condition that requires the patient to depend on insulin shots. It has been proved that regular consumption of a generous serving of papaya helps impede the progression of Type 2 diabetes to Type 1.