Nosebleeds are a very common problem that many adults experience suddenly. The inner nose is one of the most sensitive parts of the body. Lined with hundreds of tiny blood vessels that reside close to the surface, the nostrils don’t take kindly to being harassed and will bleed with little provocation. The bleeding can be light or heavy and can last from a few seconds to more than 10 minutes. At times, symptoms like dizziness, weakness, confusion and fainting may accompany a nosebleed.
Although they are frightening, in most cases, they don’t indicate any serious health problems. It is easy to handle this problem with some simple home remedies. Here are 4 best home remedies for nose bleeding.
1. Cold Compress: A cold compress is a common remedy to stop a bleeding nose. The cold temperature causes the blood vessels to constrict faster and slows down the blood flow and bleeding within a few minutes.
• Wrap a few ice cubes in a thin towel.
• Sit in an upright position and tilt your head back.
• Apply the ice pack across the bridge of your nose for 5 to 10 minutes.
• Repeat as needed.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar can be an effective ingredient for stopping a nosebleed quickly. It protects the body from excessive blood loss by sealing up the broken walls of the blood vessels.
• Soak a small cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and place it lightly into the nostril.
• Leave it in place for at least 10 minutes and the bleeding will stop.
3. Saline Water: A saline solution is often used for nasal irritation in order to clear a blocked nose caused by sinusitis or allergy caused by dust, pollen, and gunk. Also, it is effective for stopping nose bleeding caused by excessive cold and dry climate. It can soothe and moisturize irritated nasal membranes.
• Add a pinch of salt to a ½ cup of water and stir well. Put a few drops of this solution into your nose to moisten the inner lining of the nasal passages.
4. Onion: Onion contains a certain blood clotting agent that is highly effective in stopping nose bleeding. The natural fumes of the onion help clot the blood.
• Cut 1 onion into thick slices. Press 1 slice under your nose and inhale the fumes. The bleeding will stop within minutes.
• Another option is to put 2 or 3 drops of freshly extracted onion juice in each nostril. Repeat as needed.