Sleep is not less important for our bodies than breathing or eating. Sleep deprivation can cause many health problems including, headaches, fatigue, weakened immune system, and depression. But, unfortunately, many people have a trouble falling asleep which is the main result of the stressful life we live in today’s world. Anyone who struggles with insomnia or just has trouble falling asleep always takes over-the-counter sleeping pills to get a good night’s sleep, but if it is what you always do, you should stop now and go natural. Here we have six herbal sleep aids that will help you get a good night’s rest.
1. California Poppy: The California poppy contains protopine, which acts as a natural sedative. It makes you fall asleep, improves the quality of your sleep and also fights anxiety. Boil two cups of water with 1tsp of the dried herb for 10 minutes to make a relaxing tea.
2. Valerian Root: This is a powerful sedative which improves the quality of sleep. In a Swedish study of valerian’s tranquilizing effects, almost 90 percent of insomniacs said that this herb helped them sleep. Also, it is effective in treating nervousness and restlessness. Use valerian root to make a tea, or take 600 milligrams before bed.
3. Kava: Kava soothes nerves and promotes deep sleep by decreasing anxiety. It calms the mind, relaxes the body and enhances dreaming and cognitive performance. Brew a tea and drink before bed to enjoy a relaxing deep sleep. To prepare kava tea, mix 1 teaspoon of dried kava powder with two cups of boiling water and steep for 5 minutes. Strain and drink once cool.
4. Passion Flower: Passion flower contains tranquilizing compounds that can ease anxiety and help you sleep better. Many varieties of the passionflower exist, but not all are suitable for medical uses. Be sure that you’re taking only Passiflora incarnate, as other variations can be dangerous. Steep one teaspoon of leaves in a cup of boiling water for a soothing tea. Drink this an hour before bed daily.
5. Chamomile: This plant is a well-known herbal sleep aid. The delicious scent of this herb improves mental calmness and works to reduce anxiety. A cup of chamomile tea before bed will help you relax and fall asleep faster. Steep a heaping tablespoon of this herb in boiling water; cover the tea as it steeps so as not to lose the calming essential oils.