Every one of us must have been through the experience of skipping meals many times in their live. Some even do this voluntarily. Some cultures even have a practice of fasting where they skip meals from dawn to dusk. So, what happens to your body when you skip meals?
– You may drop weight. But you may gain it back along with few extra kilograms and some belly fat. Also, according to some studies, losing weight will happen in places that shouldn’t lose weight, such as your muscles.
– No more inflammation and no more inflammation-triggered diseases. Some researchers have proved that when a stomach is empty for a long time, it sends signals to your brain that leads to a self-repairing mechanism. The final result is reducing inflammation and in turn, treating inflammation related diseases such as heart disease, acne, allergy…etc.
– You will burn more fat when you exercise. Have you ever wondered why doctors advise people to exercise for a little while in the morning? It is because that will be after a an 8 hours of fasting. The result is burning much more fat than you usually do when you eat before exercising.
– It is true that skipping a meal will make you burn more fat while you exercise, but it can drain you of energy fast. So, you might end up becoming too tired to exercise and give up on exercising altogether. You can try making the exercise time shorter or have a little bit of salad before exercising.
– You might get grabby when you skip a meal. I mean, you might try to get anything fattening and unhealthy to eat to shut your stomach. This way you might get double the amount of calories you could have had on your skipped meal.