Sage is an herb that has been used in cooking and for medicinal purposes for centuries. Sage is a powerhouse of nutrients and has many amazing health properties which have made it a staple in traditional European and Chinese medicines. It is a great source of flavonoids, such as apigenin, diosmetin and luteolin, and a good source of phenolic acids. Sage also is rich in vitamin K as well as vitamins A and C. In addition, this herb contains exceptionally high levels of the B-complex group of vitamins. Here are ten amazing health benefits of sage:
1. Treats a Sore Throat: Sage infusion has been found to be effective in the treatment of inflamed throat and tonsils as well as ulcerated throat. Plus, sage has antibacterial properties that can fight the infection and speed up the healing process. To use it for this purpose, you can put 2 teaspoons of fresh or dried sage leaves in a cup and then pour 1 cup of hot water over it. Cover and steep for 20 minutes. Use this as a gargle twice a day to treat a sore throat.
2. Improves Digestion: Sage is perfect for improving digestion as it can treat mild cases of gastrointestinal problems and dyspepsia. Plus, it helps relax the muscles of the digestive tract. Due to its calmative effect, sage soothes indigestion and heartburn and stimulates the digestive system.
3. Stimulates Hair Growth: Sage is known for its effectiveness in stimulating in encouraging hair growth as it improves circulation to the scalp, providing more nutrition to the hair follicles. It is rich in nutrients like vitamins B, A and C and the minerals potassium and calcium, so it can greatly stimulate hair growth and fight hair loss
4. Lowers Glucose Levels: Along with diabetes medicines and insulin, sage can help manage diabetes. Due to its antihyperglycemic properties, sage helps lower blood glucose levels by blocking the release of stored glucose from the liver. A 2006 study published in the British Journal of Nutrition highlights the effect of sage on fasting glucose levels in nondiabetic animals and its metformin-like effects on rat hepatocytes. This study suggests that sage may be useful as a food supplement in the prevention of Type 2 diabetes mellitus by lowering the plasma glucose of individuals at risk.
5. Improves Oral Health: Sage is an excellent antioxidant, which helps fight free radicals and improve oral health. Being a natural antiseptic, antifungal and anti-inflammatory agent, sage can even take care of bleeding, tenderness, redness and swelling of the gums due to gingivitis.