Poor memory and lack of mental clarity are frustrating issues which many of experience. Many people think that memory problems are associated with aging but this isn’t accurate. Dementia, head injury, drug abuse, nutritional deficiency, stroke, depression, and stress may also make anyone experience memory and concentration problems. If your memory problems are not associated with a health condition, plenty of natural herbal remedies can be extremely effective for you. Here are the top five herbs that can be used for improving memory and boosting brain’s performance.
1. Ginkgo Biloba: Ginkgo is the most popular herb in terms of improving memory. Ginko boasts flavonoids and terpenoids, two compounds which are responsible for protecting nerve cells. Ginkgo has been scientifically proven to boost overall brain function through increasing blood circulation to the brain. According to the “Journal of the American Medical Association,” Ginkgo Biloba tea can be used to alleviate dementia. It is available in supplement form, but this herb can also make an excellent tea for memory enhancement due to its positive neurological effects.
2. Ginseng: It is considered to be super-effective memory aid. It is adaptogenic in nature, so it can be taken to alleviate stress which is a major cause of memory loss. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, Ginseng herbal tea can boost mental performance. Ginseng is also an amazing energy booster and can decrease tremors, headaches, blood pressure and insomnia.
3. Gotu Kola: Gotu Kola can be used to improve memory, mental function, attention span, intelligence, and focus by increasing blood circulation throughout the brain. Gotu Kola tea has a very high concentration of pyridoxine (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2) and thiamin (vitamin B1) and they are essential vitamins that are required for the normal functioning of the brain.
4. Periwinkle: Some of the compounds found in periwinkle are related to those found in many medications used for combating dementia and Alzheimer’s today. Vincamine, a chemical found in periwinkle, thins the blood and hence allows for better blood flow and oxygenation to the brain. In addition to boosting blood flow, potent periwinkle compounds also help protect blood vessels and counteract free radicals found in the body, preventing further damage. Periwinkle tea is excellent for memory retention and overall health as a result.
5. Rosemary: Rosemary can be used to improve both memory and concentration. Rosemary contains a rosmarinic acid, a potent antioxidant compound that has been shown to be quite effective in neutralizing harmful free radicals that can be found in the central nervous system. Also, rosemary contains 8-cineole a compound that can easily improve overall cognitive performance.