Perioral dermatitis, also known as periorificial dermatitis, is a type of inflammatory rash that appears on the facial skin around the mouth. Its symptoms are similar to inflammatory skin conditions such as eczema and acne. Although the exact cause of this condition is not clear, experts believe that it may appear after topical steroid creams are applied to the face to treat other conditions.
Moreover, nasal sprays containing corticosteroids as well as heavy skin creams that contain petrolatum or a paraffin base may cause this problem. In order to help you get a relief from this condition, below we share 3 natural remedies for perioral dermatitis.
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for perioral dermatitis. This is because it is rich in beneficial bacteria that fight off the bad bacteria known to aggravate perioral dermatitis. It also contains strong anti-inflammatory properties that reduce inflamed and blotchy red skin.
– Dilute raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of mineral water.
– Soak a cotton ball in this solution and apply it gently on the affected area.
– Rinse it off after 20 minutes, then apply some olive oil or jojoba oil for moisturization. Do it 2 or 3 times a day for at least 1 or 2 weeks.
2. Greek Yogurt:
Greek yogurt has soothing and cooling properties which help calm inflammation, redness and relieve pain. It is also rich in good bacteria, making it a powerful antibacterial agent that helps eliminate bad bacteria on the skin
– Mix 1 tbsp of greek yogurt and a pinch of turmeric powder in a small bowl.
– Using a face mask brush, apply the mixture onto your face and leave it on for about 7 minutes before rinsing off.
3. Aloe Vera:
Thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial compounds, aloe vera helps soothe irritation and inflammation. Also, this natural sealant eliminates dry skin associated with perioral dermatitis.
– Apply fresh aloe vera gel several times a day for a few weeks.
– Alternatively, put 4 tablespoons of pure aloe vera gel in a small glass container.
– Mix in 5 drops each of lavender essential oil and tea tree essential oil.
– Apply it twice daily on the affected area. Store the blend in the glass container in a cool place.