We all get bruised when we fall or bump into doors, tables, and counters. Bruises are purplish, red or black-blue spots on the skin that occur when the small blood vessels under the skin tear or rupture from a bump or a fall. Most bruised don not warrant medical attention as they heal in around 12-15 days. But with the use of some home remedies, they can heal faster. Here are 5 natural home remedies that will help heal your bruises faster.
1. Epsom Salt: Soaking in water with Epsom salt may reduce the appearance of bruises. Epsom salt is known to relax muscles- it is for this reason that it is believed to reduce swelling and pain around the area that is bruised.
– Add 2 cups of Epsom salt in a warm water bath.
– Soak the bruised area until the water cools.
– Rinse with clean water.
Epsom salt may cause irritation as it dries the skin and may leave crystals on the skin surface. Rinsing with clean water ensures you get rid of magnesium crystals.
2. Parsley: Parsley is known to decrease inflammation and reduce pain.
– Crush a handful of parsley leaves and spread them over the bruise
– Wrap the parsley-covered bruise in a bandage and let the herb help the healing process.
3. Cabbage Leaves: Using cabbage leaves is one of the old home remedies for bruises. It is loaded with vitamins and phytonutrients which possess anti-inflammatory properties. It also has lots of vitamin K and C which are great anti-bruising agents.
– Apply macerated leaves of cabbage to accelerate the healing process.
4. Pineapple: Bromelain is derived from pineapples (actually the stem), and is a potent enzyme that has anti-inflammatory properties and plays a role in reducing bruising and swelling. When used as a topical lotion applied directly over skin bruises, bromelain helps to reduce inflammation and pain, and break down the blood proteins that have coagulated or clotted to form the bruise. Bromelain also helps to fade the bruise quickly and prevent further blood clots from forming.
– Eating pineapple will cure the bruise really fast. You can also consume the fresh juice of pineapple.
5. Tea Bags: Tea contains tannins which when applied to the skin constrict blood vessels. This stops blood from flowing to the bruises helping to get rid of discoloration. Tea bags also help to reduce swelling and pain.
– Simply soak the tea bags in warm water for 3 minutes
– Place the warm tea bag on the affected skin and leave it on for minutes
– Do this several times a day to cure bruises and get rid of skin discolorations