Bad breath is an embarrassing problem that happens to everyone at times. There are many reasons that can cause bad breath such as eating foods high in protein, sugar, or acid, smoking, illness and tooth decay. In addition to the great effect of regular dentist visits and proper oral hygiene in keeping your mouth healthy, there are other things that can help fight off bad breath. Here are the things you should do to avoid having bad breath:
– Floss your teeth and brush them every day as they are two critical steps you should take to ward off bad breath. According to American Dental Association, food particles can linger in your mouth if you neglect to brush and floss them and this can cause bad breath. Flossing should be an essential part of your daily oral care because it cuts down on plaque, bacteria, and odor-causing food particles. It is recommended to floss your teeth after each meal.
– Clean your tongue as it can be a source of bad smells. Halitosis-causing compounds form on your tongue and in your mouth when bacteria and amino acids combine, emitting an unpleasant sulfur-like smell. Thus, cleaning your tongue regularly can help a lot in fighting halitosis.
– Dry mouth is a problem that can cause bad breathe or make bad breath worth. So it is important to drink lots of water as it helps promote saliva which cleanses the mouth and eliminates the stink-causing substances in food. Staying hydrated is important particularly before and after practicing heavy exercise because rapid breath can increase dry mouth.
– Smoking is one of the reasons that can cause bad breath as it causes the smoker’s breath to retain the smells of stale tobacco smoke. Moreover, smoking stains your teeth and can irritate your gums. Therefore, quit smoking to maintain a healthier mouth.
– Avoid eating raw garlic or onion because when they ingested and excreted by the lungs, they cause halitosis. It is better to cook them before eating to avoid their odor that sticks to your mouth and lasts for hours. Also avoiding eating acidic foods or high fructose foods can help in preventing bad breath because both of them increase production of bacteria and bad breath.
– Using a mouthwash is a good temporary solution for bad breath since it reduces plaque and gingivitis and freshens breath.