The arrival of a new baby can change the whole routine for the family. Parents’ attention and efforts involve around the preparations for the arrival of the new baby and this transition can have a negative effect on your older child. It is common for the older child to feel jealously toward the newborn and to react to the upheaval by acting out. So any parents who have one child and another on the way, getting the firstborn ready for a sibling should be their top priority. To help you in this difficult task, here are 6 amazing ways to prepare your child for a new baby.
1. Get Him Involved: Being included in preparing for the baby’s arrival can help your child feel better about this huge change in their life. Get your little one excited about a new sibling by involving him in the preparations. Let him choose toys, clothes, and blankets for the baby. He can also help you set up the nursery and organize the baby gear.
2. Take Your Child to a Doctor’s Appointment: Bring your child along to one of your appointments. Let them hear the baby’s heartbeat and see their tiny feet and toes on the ultrasound.
3. Make Time: Your child might be worried that you won’t spend time with them after the baby comes and this can be a real fear for him. So try to make sure you spend alone time with your firstborn. It’s important to give him special attention and reinforce the feeling that although there will be a new baby in the house who also needs you, you won’t love him any less.
4. Go Through your Child’s Baby Picture: Reminisce on happy memories from when your child was a baby. Show them pictures of the day they were born, their messy face at mealtime and fun trips you took together. Seeing themselves as a baby can help them get excited for their new brother or sister.
5. Spend time with other Babies: Spend some time around small babies to help your toddler become accustomed to their unique needs and actions. It may help your child to see other babies cry, nurse, take a bottle, and play.
6. Read Books About Babies: Read age-appropriate books about babies to help your child understand and even get excited about their new sibling’s arrival.