The liver is one of the most important organs of the body and it is the only part of your body that is both as an organ and a gland. The liver has many important functions including metabolism, digestion, immunity and essential nutrients storage. The liver is responsible for regulating the composition of blood, removing harmful toxins from the blood and converting nutrients absorbed by the intestines during digestion into forms that the body can use. It also stores some vitamins, iron, and simple sugar glucose. So, the liver should be kept healthy to be able to perform its vital functions efficiently. There are many foods that can help cleanse and detoxify your liver. Below are some of the best superfoods that can clean your liver and keep you healthy.
1. Garlic: Garlic is great for cleansing your liver as it is packed with sulfur, which activates liver enzymes that help your body flush out toxins. It also is rich in allicin and selenium, two natural compounds that also help on liver cleansing. You can eat 2 to 3 raw garlic cloves daily and include it in your cooking.
2. Grapefruit: This fruit is high in antioxidants and vitamin C which can naturally clean the liver. It also contains glutathione, a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals and detoxifies the liver. One glass of fresh grapefruit juice can help boost the production of enzymes in the liver that gets rid of toxins, including those that can cause cancer.
3. Greens: Green veggies are extremely rich in chlorophylls that suck up toxins in the bloodstream, increase bile production, and neutralize heavy metals, chemicals, and pesticides, which lower the burden on the liver.
4. Avocados: Avocado is a good source of glutathione, a compound required by the liver to cleanse harmful toxins and to function properly. Avocado contains a high amount of monounsaturated which helps reduce low-density lipoproteins or “bad” cholesterol and increase high-density lipoproteins or “good” cholesterol. The liver easily processes good cholesterol.
5. Apples: They are high in pectin, a soluble fiber that is essential to cleansing and releasing toxins from the digestive tract and cholesterol from the blood. Apples make it easier for the liver to handle the toxic load during the cleansing process.
6. Green Tea: Green tea contains antioxidants known as catechins, a compound known to assist liver function. By drinking green tea daily, you can help your body flush out toxins and fat deposits while increasing hydration levels.