Teeth grinding, medically known as bruxism, is one of the very common dental disorders that can impact your dental health badly. Nearly one in three people suffer from teeth grinding and the majority of people do it at night. This condition affects people of all ages, from childhood through adulthood, causing severe tooth damage, jaw disorders, earaches, and headaches.
The teeth clenching and grinding may also lead to temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ). Stress is considered as a main cause of teeth grinding. You can suffer from bruxism also due to other reasons include suppressed anger or frustration, misaligned teeth, growth of the teeth and jaws, complications from diseases like Parkinson’s or Huntington’s, some type of parasitic infestation, and a side effect of certain medications. It is also very common among people with fibromyalgia. If you want to know how to stop teeth grinding naturally, here are 4 natural ways to get the job done.
1. Lavender: Lavender has a calming and soothing effect on the nervous system due to its bioactive constituents. Moreover, it induces relaxation and provides a sound sleep
• Take 4-5 drops of lavender oil.
• Mix it with 1 tsp of olive oil.
• Apply it on your neck area and jaw.
• Massage gently for 5 minutes.
• Apply it twice a day. Apply before bedtime to treat teeth grinding.
2. Valerian: Valerian provides deep sleep which reduces the chance of teeth grinding. The muscle relaxing property of valerian oil reduces stress on muscles and provides the soothing experience.
• Take 1 tsp of olive oil.
• Add 3-5 drops of valerian oil in it.
• Mix it well.
• Apply to your neck and jaw area, massage gently for 5 minutes.
• Use this remedy before bedtime to get sound sleep.
3. Vitamin C: Vitamin C is used by our adrenal glands, affecting our response to stress. It is also essential in the making of dopamine, which helps to regulate moods. So increase your consumption of vitamin C-rich foods to stop teeth grinding.
4. Milk with Turmeric: Milk and turmeric is a perfect combination for controlling teeth grinding. The amino acid tryptophan in milk works well on the nervous system to make you feel relax. Turmeric acts as a pain reliever and reduces pain in the jaw as well as a headache.
• Heat one cup of milk.
• When the milk starts boiling, add one teaspoon of turmeric powder.
• Stir slowly until the milk becomes a rich, mustard color.
• Remove from heat, and add one tablespoon of honey.
• Drink it daily about 30 minutes before going to bed.