Lemons are one of the most popular fruits out there and it is an essential kitchen staple. While the majority of us use the lemon juice from many purposes, we always throw the lemon peels away after squeezing the lemon. But once you will know the amazing benefits of lemon peels you will think twice before tossing the peels because the peels are very beneficial. Lemon peels contain a wide range of vitamins, minerals, and fiber that provide a nutritional boost. Here are 10 smart uses for lemon peels.
1. Keep your Home Ant-Free: The sweet, lemony smell deters ants. Also, the acidic property masks the scent trails that their ant friends follow when finding their way into your home. Place small slices of lemon peel along thresholds, windowsills, door entrances, or near cracks or holes where ants or pests are lurking about.
2. Whiten Teeth: The acid content in citrus rinds can whiten and brighten dull or stained teeth. Rub the inner white part of the lemon peel on your teeth for a few minutes for a whitening effect. Rinse well with water after using the citrus peels.
3. Clean your Microwave: Add lemon rinds to a microwave-safe bowl filled halfway with water. Cook on high for five minutes, allowing the water to boil and the steam to condense on the walls and tops of the oven. Remove the hot bowl and wipe away the mess with a towel.
5. Make Dishes Sparkle: Lemon not only acts as a degreaser, but the citric acid found in lemon also helps remove spots from dishes. Throw lemon rinds with the pulp into your dish water to help remove grease and make glasses and silverware sparkle.
6. Remove Rust Stains: The acid in lemons helps remove rust stains. This can be helpful in showers where shaving cream cans have left a rust ring or sinks where iron pots have been left. Sprinkle salt on the rust stain and rub with half of a lemon that still has pulp inside. Allow the salt and lemon to sit for several hours, scrubbing periodically if needed. Allow the lemon to rest on the surface overnight if the stain has not yet disappeared, then rinse well with water.