Sunflower seeds are not only a great option when you are looking for an evening snack, but they also have a great nutritious value. This amazing seeds that are native to North America provide a great combination of minerals, vitamins, and essential fatty acids. If you want to know about the health benefits of sunflower seeds, you don’t need to look further, below are 6 health benefits you can gain from eating sunflower seeds.
1. They act as An Anti-inflammatory: Sunflower seeds are a rich source of vitamin E, which acts as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Vitamin E neutralizes the effects of free radicals, preventing the damage of fat containing structures and molecules. Eating sunflower seeds can ease the symptoms of osteoarthritis, asthma and rheumatoid arthritis, they are all conditions where inflammation and free radicals are an issue.
2. They Are Rich In Magnesium: Magnesium deficiency can lead to a variety of health problems that affect the cardiovascular, nervous, and immune systems. The muscles and skeletal system also require magnesium for proper function. Homeopathic practitioners have long used magnesium to promote respiratory function, heart health, and reduced PMS tension. And a quarter cup serving of sunflower seeds provides more than 25% of the recommended daily value of magnesium.
3. They Support a Healthy Mood: Due to their high content of magnesium, sunflower seeds promote a healthy mood. Over one hundred years ago, magnesium sulfate was given to patients suffering from depression. Its success, as well as its safety, made it a valuable option. Today magnesium plays an essential role in homeopathic therapies for mental health.
4. They Lower the Risk of Cancer: Sunflower seeds enhance the immune response, thereby decreasing the risk of certain cancers. The vitamin E and high fiber content in sunflower seeds reduce the possibility of colon cancer. Selenium in sunflower seeds induces DNA repair and synthesis of damaged cells, inhibiting the proliferation of cancer cells.
5. They Help Fight the Signs of Aging: The Vitamin E and beta carotene found in sunflower seeds are both effective at keeping your skin looking young and fresh. The beta-carotene makes your skin less sensitive to the sun and the Vitamin E helps protect your skin against free radical damage.