Green tea has been known to provide health benefits through regular consumption. It is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that have powerful effects on the body. Also, it contains a minimum amount of caffeine so it can give you a healthy boost of energy in the morning or during a midday lull.
The following are some of the health benefits of consuming green tea:
1. Promotes Heart Health: Potentially due to its ability to lower blood cholesterol, green tea has been shown to aid the body in its ability to burn off harmful forms of fat, preventing them from laying stagnant in the blood stream. Large-scale studies done on green tea have associated it with long-term heart disease prevention. A Japanese trial found that drinking at least four cups of green tea daily could lower the severity of heart disease in men.
2. Fights Cancer: Thanks to its antioxidant power, green tea can help fight cancer. Many studies have shown that those who consume green tea on a long term and consistent basis have a reduced risk of certain cancers, including prostate cancer, colorectal cancer, and breast cancer. Green tea is known to improve cell health and cell regeneration which is beneficial to prevent these types of diseases.
3. Reduce Stress: In fact, green tea actually contains ingredients that can help to reduce stress and calm nerves. Green tea contains a compound called L-theanine which can help with serotonin and dopamine levels and positively affect emotions and mood. In addition to this, there is the added psychological benefit of slowing down and taking a moment to just sit and sip. Taking a moment to relax and combining it with the stress reducing ingredients of green tea can produce a calming and soothing effect.
4. Boosts the Immune System: Green tea may act as an overall immune booster. Chemicals in green tea have been used to promote good health in so many ways. Some studies on laboratory animals even show promising evidence that green tea can slow the aging process and even keep us alive longer!
5. Improves Brain Function: Green tea can also help with memory and brain function. Studies have shown that the catechins that help with cardiovascular health also improve circulation to the brain. Green tea’s compounds can also have protective effects on neurons which may help to reduce the risk of neurological and cognitive diseases. Research has shown a stronger working memory area of the brain for those who consistently drink green tea. The L-theanine contained in green tea helps with focus and attention, increasing the benefits of this amazing beverage.