Seeds are a nutritional powerhouse as they are high in fiber, protein, healthy fats and many antioxidants. Healthy seeds should be a main part of our diet due to their amazing health benefits including their ability to prevent weight gain, the development of heart disease and the accumulation of LDL cholesterol. There are many kinds of seeds, but as everything in this world, there are super seeds which are extremely beneficial. Below we have rounded up the five healthiest seeds that you should add to your diet.
1. Chia Seeds: These tiny seeds are high in iron, fiber, magnesium, calcium, and omega-3 fatty acids. Calcium and magnesium found in theses seeds help promote bone and dental health. Moreover, the omega-3 fatty acids help your heart by lowering triglycerides, the bad fats in your blood that can cause heart disease and their soluble fiber helps decrease cholesterol, stabilize blood sugar, and make you feel full longer.
2. Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds are a good source of iron, zinc, B vitamins, magnesium and protein, and have a high concentration of the amino acid tryptophan, which helps lower anxiety levels. These seeds are also high in omega-3 fatty acids that help keep blood vessels healthy and lower bad cholesterol. Finally, pumpkin seeds are high in phytosterols, plant components that aid in keeping stable levels of cholesterol and enhanced immune response.
3. Hemp Seeds: These seeds are packed with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. They also contain phytosterols, plant-based compounds that help lower cholesterol levels. Containing 10 essential amino acids, hemp seeds are composed of over thirty percent pure protein, making them an excellent daily protein source. Also, they contain the highest amount of fiber (40%) compared with any other grain.
4. Sunflower Seeds: They are an excellent source of B vitamins, including folate, a very important nutrient for women which helps prevent birth defects. Also, they are packed with good fats, vitamin E, selenium and copper. These seeds are a very good choice for people who want to lose weight, as they promote healthy digestion and increase fiber intake.
5. Sesame Seeds: Sesame seeds are very high in calcium, protein, magnesium, zinc, fiber, iron, B1 and phosphorus, sesame seeds are unique in their chemical structure. Possessing important cholesterol-fighting fibers known as lignans, studies show that these seeds can lower blood pressure, as well as protect the liver from damage.