Bloating is when your belly feels swollen or enlarged after eating. It is usually caused by gas or other digestive issues. Although bloating may be a symptom of a serious medical condition, it is usually caused by something in the diet. Also, bloating is not about eating healthy or unhealthy food because there are also some healthy foods that can cause bloating. In this article, we are going to talk about 6 foods that can cause bloating.
1. Carbonated Drinks: Carbonated drinks are very common cause of bloating. These drinks contain high amounts of carbon dioxide, a gas. When you drink one of these beverages, you end up swallowing large amounts of this gas. Some of the gas gets trapped in the digestive system, which can cause uncomfortable bloating and even cramping.
2. Garlic: Garlic is an example of a FODMAPs food (which stands for fermentable oligo-saccharides, di-saccharides, mono-saccharides, and polyols), which is a group of foods that are poorly absorbed from the GI tract into the blood, or not absorbed at all. Because of their poor absorption, they drag water into the intestine and get fermented by bacteria,which builds up gas inside the intestines.
3. Broccoli: The cruciferous vegetable family includes broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts and several others are among the foods that can cause bloating. Although, they are very healthy, containing many essential nutrients they also contain FODMAPs, so they may cause bloating in some people.
4. Onions: Onions are underground bulb vegetables with a unique, powerful taste. They are rarely eaten whole, but are popular in cooked meals, side dishes and salads. Even though they’re usually eaten in small quantities, onions are one of the main dietary sources of fructans. These are soluble fibers that can cause bloating.
5. Dairy Products: Dairy is highly nutritious and an excellent source of protein and calcium. However, about 75% of the world’s population can’t break down lactose, the sugar found in milk. This condition is known as lactose intolerance. If you’re lactose intolerant, dairy can cause major digestive problems. Symptoms include bloating, gas, cramping and diarrhea.
6. Apples: Apples are among the most popular fruits in the world. However, apples have been known to cause bloating and other digestive issues for some people. The culprits are fructose (which is a FODMAP) and the high fiber content. Fructose and fiber can both be fermented in the large intestine, and may cause gas and bloating.