Boosting your immune system is the most important step you should take to prevent winter colds and the flu. To have a strong immune system you need to feed your body certain foods that are able to keep your immune system on guard. Consuming a variety of immune system boosters may reduce your risk of catching the flu and ensure your body and immunity run smoothly. Below are some of the most powerful foods that you should include to your plate to keep your immune system running strong.
1. Yogurt: Yogurt contains probiotics or “live active cultures”-which are essentially good bacteria that help boost your immune system. These healthy bacteria can keep the gut and intestinal tract free of disease-causing germs. So when selecting yogurt, choose the ones that have “live and active cultures” printed on the label.
2. Garlic: Garlic contains the active ingredient allicin, which fights infection and bacteria making it one of the immune system boosters. Garlic also may help in lowering blood pressure and slowing down hardening of the arteries, according to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health.
3. Shellfish: Some types of shellfish such as oysters, lobsters, crabs , and clams are packed with selenium, plentiful that helps white blood cells produce cytokines- proteins that help clear flu viruses out of the body. Also, salmon, mackerel, and herring are a good source of omega-3 fats, which reduce inflammation, increasing airflow and protecting lungs from colds and respiratory infections.
4. Spinach: Spinach is rich in folic acid, which helps repair cells and also it is high in vitamin C. Furthermore, it is packed with numerous antioxidants and beta carotene, which may increase the infection-fighting capability of the immune systems. It is recommended to cook spinach as little as possible to retain its nutrients.
5. Broccoli: Broccoli is packed with an arsenal of vitamins including vitamin A, C, and E and it also contains minerals. As it one of the cruciferous vegetables it helps naturally detox the body and prevent illness.
6. Citrus Fruits: Citrus fruits are the popular choice for all people when they caught flu because their high content of vitamin C. Vitamin. Vitamin C increases the production of white blood cells which are the main key in fighting infections. Citrus fruits include grapefruits, lemon, oranges, tangerines, limes, and clementines.