Almond milk is becoming more and more popular alternative to cow’s milk. Almond milk contains more nutrients than other dairy milk alternatives like rice milk. It is amazing choice for those who are looking for a dairy-free milk substitute or who with soy and lactose allergies. In this article, we are going to talk about the main health benefits of drinking almond milk.
1. It strengthens your Bones: Although almond milk doesn’t offer as much calcium as cow’s milk, it contains 30% of the recommended daily amount of calcium and 25% of vitamin D. These two nutrients work together to build strong bones. Also, vitamin D helps improve your immunity system and reduce your risk of arthritis and osteoporosis.
2. It May Reduce the Risk of Heart Disease: Almond milk contains no cholesterol and only 5 mg of sodium per serving. Consuming foods low in sodium and cholesterol helps us to maintain better heart health and normal blood pressure. Due to its zero cholesterol content, almond milk also decreases our chances of gaining bad cholesterol levels, all while increasing the good cholesterol levels.
3. It Doesn’t Raise Blood Sugar: Sugar-free almond milk is low in carbs as it contains only 0.6% carbs (1.5 grams) per cup. This means that it won’t cause a spike in blood sugar levels, reducing your risk for diabetes. Because of its low glycemic index, your body will use the carbs as energy so the sugars aren’t stored as fat. Remember to read the ingredient lists and select products that are as pure as possible.
4. It Helps Control Weight: One cup of almond milk contains only 60 calories, as opposed to 146 calories in whole milk, 122 calories in 2 percent, 102 calories in 1 percent, and 86 calories in skim. So it is a great substitute that will help you lose or maintain your current weight.
5. It Keeps your Skin Glowing: Almond milk contains 50 percent of the recommended daily amount of vitamin E, which contains antioxidant properties essential to your skin’s health.
6. It is Diary-Free: Almond milk contains no cow’s milk or other animal products, making it a great option for vegans and those who are intolerant or allergic to milk. Many people are intolerant to milk sugar (lactose) and unable to completely digest it. Being dairy free, almond milk contains no lactose at all, making almond milk a suitable, lactose-free substitute.