Ginger is one of the most popular roots which is very healthy and is used in many recipes to enhance the flavor. But, in fact, the nutritious value of this root extends well beyond its most common usage. This inexpensive root has numerous medicinal properties that help improve your overall health in many ways. If you want to know more about the health benefits offered by ginger, look no further. Here are 6 health benefits of ginger.
1. Improves Circulation: Ginger contains magnesium and zinc, which play the greatest role in improving circulation. It also inhibits the accumulation of bad cholesterol in the liver, which can prevent a number of cardiovascular problems later in life. Among other things, ginger can be used to reduce fevers and eliminate problems with excessive sweating.
2. Strengthens the Immune System: Ginger works as a warming spice, which helps the body break down toxins and cleanse its lymphatic system. Regular consumption of ginger strengthens your immune system and helps the body maintain strong defenses against potential infections, colds, coughs, the flu, and chronic illnesses. It also reduces the risk of stroke and is quite useful in fighting bacterial infections of the intestine.
3. Improves Digestion: While ginger helps facilitate the body’s absorption of nutrients, it also alleviates abdominal pain that usually occurs when you experience inflammation of the stomach. It also prevents and fights constipation, reduces gas, and promotes better overall digestion.
4. Helps with Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis is a common health problem. It involves degeneration of the joints in the body, leading to symptoms like joint pain and stiffness. In a controlled trial of 247 people with osteoarthritis of the knee, those who took ginger extract had less pain and required less pain medication.
5. May Lower Cholesterol: In a 45-day study of 85 individuals with high cholesterol, 3 grams of ginger powder caused significant reductions in most cholesterol markers. This is supported by a study in hypothyroid rats, where ginger extract lowered LDL cholesterol to a similar extent as the cholesterol-lowering drug atorvastatin. Both studies also showed reductions in total cholesterol and blood triglycerides.
6. May Help Fight Cancer: Numerous studies have found that ginger might have very powerful anti-cancer effects, through inhibition of the growth of cancer cells – particularly in the colon and the prostate.