Sauerkraut is cabbage that is fermented in its own juices, which is where the distinct sour taste comes from. Sauerkraut has been popular throughout Central Europe for hundreds of years. Sauerkraut contains high levels of dietary fiber, as well as significant levels of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, and various B vitamins. Also, it is an anti-inflammatory food and is packed with benefits. Besides having probiotics to offer, sauerkraut is a good source of antioxidants and dietary fiber too. You may be not a fan of sauerkraut, but I think you will change your mind after knowing how good it is for your health. Here are 6 health benefits of sauerkraut:
1. Improves Digestive Health: Sauerkraut contains large amounts of probiotics bacteria that help to maintain a healthy and clean digestive tract. Due to their ability to lower the presence of toxins, inflammation and bad bacteria living in your digestive tract, probiotics bacteria are beneficial for reducing symptoms such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), constipation, diarrhea, bloating, food sensitives and digestive disorders.
2. Boosts Immune System: Sauerkraut is a good source of vitamin C, as a single serving of sauerkraut has 35% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C. Vitamin C stimulates the production of white blood cells. Plus, the lactic acid adds a healthy amount of intestinal flora that helps to protect the body from harmful bacteria.
3. Reduces Inflammation: There are certain organic compounds found in this cabbage variant that work as anti-inflammatory agents. Phytonutrient antioxidants contained in sauerkraut can double as anti-inflammatory agents, reducing the pain and discomfort of joints, muscles, or other inflamed areas.
4. Helps Prevent Cancer: An interesting Finnish study found that sauerkraut has cancer-fighting powers. It was found that through the fermentation process; isothiocyanates were produced that were found to prohibit the growth of cancer. Glucosinolates in sauerkraut were also found to help activate the body’s natural antioxidant enzymes, and the flavonoids in it are helpful for protecting artery walls from oxidative damage.
5. Prevents Wrinkles: Cabbage contains tons od vitamin A, which is an important vitamin you should include in your diet due to its ability to slow down the development of wrinkles. So eating this food on a regular basis helps to maintain beautiful and youthful skin.
6. Strengthens Bones: Sauerkraut has many minerals that make it ideal for building strong bones and preventing osteoporosis. The high level of vitamin K is particularly important for maintaining the integrity and strength of your bones, as vitamin K produces the proteins that regulate bone mineralization!