Amaranth is a superfood which is naturally full of vitamins and minerals. And despite originating from the fruit of a flowering plant, we refer to amaranth as a grain. It is high in dietary fiber, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium and contains appreciable amounts of calcium. It’s also the only grain documented to contain vitamin C. The best part about amaranth is that it is gluten-free, which makes it a great option for people with celiac disease or those who are gluten intolerant. If you don’t know about the benefits of amaranth for health, keep reading this article to know some amazing health benefits of amaranth.
1. It is packed with Protein: Amaranth is rich in protein and it actually has more protein than any other grains. A single cup of amaranth contains 28 grams of protein. Also, it contains lysine, an amino acid missing or negligible in many grains. This particular amino acid plays a major role in calcium absorption, building muscle protein, recovering from surgery or sports injuries, and the body’s production of hormones, enzymes, and antibodies.
2. Lowers Cholesterol: Amaranth is an excellent food choice for people with cholesterol problems. Being highly fibrous, it has cholesterol-lowering abilities and both the seeds and the oil are found to be effective. A 2003 study published in the International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research analyzed the effects of amaranth grain on cholesterol levels in animal models. Researchers found that the grain and oil decreased very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) cholesterol by 21 to 50 percent.
3. Lowers Blood Pressure: consuming amaranth can be an effective way to regulate your blood pressure. The fiber and phytonutrients found in this grain help to tackle a wide range of bodily issues, including inflammation, cholesterol and blood pressure.
4. Can Protect Against Cancer: Amaranth contains peptides which, as well as fighting against inflammation, could also help to prevent cancer. Moreover, the antioxidants found in this super grain can help to protect your healthy cells from nasty free radicals that can cause cancer.
5. Offers Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Amaranth offers both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help prevent many health problems. It protects cellular membranes from oxidative damage and also boosts immunity.The anti-inflammatory activities reduce the risk of health conditions like gout, arthritis, fibromyalgia, celiac disease and irritable bowel disease (IBD).