Methionine is an essential amino acid; the basic block that links up with other amino acids and bonds to form protein. It helps in the creation of cartilage and prevents hair loss and strengthens your nails. Methionine deficiency can lead to liver inflammation, anemia, and premature graying of hair. So in order to increase our intake of methionine we need to consume foods that are rich in methionine and below is a list of the top 9 foods highest in methionine.
1. Brazil Nuts: Brazil nuts are one of the best foods high in methionine. They are one the most popular and tasty nuts in existence and are an important source of non-animal based protein and are rich in selenium.
2. Chicken Breast: Cooked chicken breast is one of the tastiest meals to have. It is also crammed with proteins and has a 127% RDI level of Methionine.
3. Roasted Soybean: Soybeans have long been acknowledged as a plant food that, when compared with other plants, is relatively high in protein. For instance, experimental studies have shown that soy protein isolates tend to lower LDL cholesterol levels while protein from animal sources can raise cholesterol levels. Roasted soybean contains high amounts of Methionine, with 73% of the RDI.
4. Roasted Beef: Roasted beef contains decent amounts of Methionine, with 135% of the RDI.
5. White Beans: White beans are used in many recipes and are rich sources of vegetable based protein. They contain decent amounts of Methionine, at 20% of the RDI.
7. Boiled Eggs: Hard boiled eggs are the choice of protein for bodybuilders. Hard boiled eggs boast of high protein levels, with around 54% of the RDI of Methionine.
8. Yogurt: Yogurt is mooted to be a better protein source than milk. This is because of the low water content of curd compared to milk. Yogurt contains a moderate amount of Methionine, at 23% of the RDI.
9. Lean Pork: A 3-ounce patty of lean ground pork contains almost 0.7 gram of methionine. Other pork cuts, including country-style ribs and pork shoulder, are also high in methionine, but they contain higher amounts of fat and should be eaten in moderation.