No doubt that our life is getting more stressful due to the many duties we have to do and the responsibilities we have. Once we feel stressed we immediately think that we have to mediate, exercise, practice yoga, go in a trip, or go to the sea, but Can food be our way to relax? Of course, yes. Food’s function doesn’t include only strengthening our bodies and boosting our health, food also can help relax your mind and calm your nerves. In this article, we have put together a list of top 5 foods for relaxation.
1. Milk: If you are looking for the most effective food that can relax your nerves, certainly a glass of warm milk is what you need. Warm milk is known to contain tryptophan –a compound which helps in the production of serotonin (around 43%). Serotonin is known to induce a feeling of pleasure along with helping in sleep.
2. Honey: Honey is known for many amazing health and skin benefits but it also can be used to relax the body and the mind. Honey is known to contain tryptophan and as stated before, this supplement helps to reduce anxiety and relax the nerve. Aside from this, honey is also known to be rich in potassium which has a soothing relieve on the brain and also the body. Potassium helps to fight off stress hormones in the body and acids to relax the nervous system.
3. Cold Water Fish: Cold water fish such as mackerel, tuna, salmon, sardines, and herring are high in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s help boosts serotonin levels while suppressing the production of anxiety-related hormones cortisol and adrenaline. In addition, omega-3s have been shown to lower high blood pressure.
4. Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate helps to reduce stress levels in the brain and this can be done because it contains serotonin, endorphin and dopamine, which are great hormones for the mollifying of stress level in the brain. There are many foods that you can find that are great source of dark chocolate. It also enhances nervous and hormonal system function.
5. Bananas: This fruit is loaded with potassium and magnesium, known natural muscle relaxants. Because relaxed muscles encourage the body to relax, sources of potassium and magnesium (like bananas) are a wise route towards easing physically mounting stress. Bananas also contain tryptophan, which promotes serotonin release in the brain.