We all know the soft and fluffy treat marshmallow, but do you know what these marshmallows are made from? This might be your first time to know that marshmallows were made from marshmallow root which is a great herb with amazing health benefits. It was until the 1880s that these soft cookies were made from the sap of marshmallows. But today they are mostly made from gelatin. The entire marshmallow plant can be used for medicinal use, from the leaves to the roots. But it’s actually the root of the marshmallow plant filled with healing properties, which include the following 5 health benefits.
1. Treats Cough and Sore Throat: The root of the marshmallow plant contains polysaccharides that have mucilaginous, antitussive and antibacterial properties. As such, when ingested orally, marshmallow root can decrease irritation of the throat, reduce swelling in the lymph nodes, speed up healing time and reduce aggravating dry coughing.
2. Treats Urinary Problem: Marshmallow root is considered a good diuretic as it can help increase the secretion and flow of urine. This help eases burning sensation when urinating, provide relief to inflamed kidneys and in the passing of kidney stones. With its powerful anti-inflammatory properties, marshmallow root extracts can be used to treat urinary tract infections, while its antispasmodic properties aid in reducing muscular cramps in the urinary tract.
3. Reduces Digestive Complaints: Marshmallow root can be very effective for people who are suffering from digestive and intestinal problems like heartburn, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, indigestion, ulcerative colitis, stomach ulcers, bloating, flatulence and Crohn’s disease. It helps coat and protects irritated mucous membranes in the mouth, throat and gastrointestinal tract. Marshmallow root cleans the digestive tract, soothes peptic ulcers, improve digestion and modulate the metabolic process.
4. Heals Skin Problems: The best reason to use marshmallow is that it does not adversely affect sensitive skin, and hence, can also be used as a way to treat dry eczema, psoriasis, and also remove any abrasions and redness. If you get a small cut or have small open blisters, marshmallow powder can be applied to cure them too!
5. Fights Infection: Recent studies showed that marshmallow root increases white blood cells and reduces high blood sugar levels in the body. The root of the marshmallow is said to eliminate toxin, helping the body to cleanse leading to the belief that it has the ability to fight infection and boost the immune system. Marshmallow root can maintain good kidney and liver function and specialists usually use it to raise the body’s overall resistance to disease.