Do your fingernails look yellowish? This may be due to dirt, polish, smoking, genetics or even health problems. But unless the discoloration is very noticeable or your nails are very yellow which may require a visit to a doctor, it is normal to have mild nail discoloration at some point in your life and there are many ways to deal with it. Here are 5 ways to lighten your nails.
1. Tea Tree Oil: Sometimes, nail yellowing happens due to a fungal infection, if this is your case, tea tree oil should be the way to go. Being a natural fungicide makes it the perfect choice to whiten your nails. You’ll apply the straight oil to your nail beds, leave it on for five minutes, rinse and repeat twice per day until clear.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar: It works really well in case of nail paint stains or fungal infections. Mix equal portions of water and apple cider vinegar, and then soak your nails in this mixture. Remove them and pat them with a wet towel. Do it at least four times a day for one week to see a good result.
3. Warm Milk: Milk is another super way not only to whiten your skin but your nails as well. Soak your nails for around 15 minutes in lukewarm pure milk. Remove them and pat them with a wet towel. Do it at least 4 times a day for one week to see changes.
4. Baking Soda: Baking soda works great for many beauty purposes and it is also one of the most popular ways to whiten nails. Mix baking soda and olive oil until a thick paste is formed, apply to the nail and leave on for a couple minutes. Repeat as often as needed.
5. Fruits: Aside from lemons, you can also use fruits like oranges or juniper berries to whiten your nails. If you’ll be eating an orange every day, you can save your orange peel and rub your nails with it two to three times daily (make sure it’s fresh each day). Within a few weeks, you’ll start to see results. Like we said, you can also use juniper berries. Add one teaspoon of these berries all crushed up into a bowl of warm water. Repeat this once daily before you head to bed.