The abortion pill is a non-surgical alternative option to terminate an unwanted pregnancy. Ru-486, which is commonly known as the abortion pill, is a prescription drug used to terminate an early pregnancy. A woman has to take it within 8 weeks of conception for a successful abortion. We will go through the side effects of this pill, but first we will explain how it works.
The pregnant woman who wants to terminate her unwanted pregnancy should take the abortion pill within eight weeks after their last menstruation period. It is not permitted for women who are under 18 or over 35 to take this pill. Additionally, women who are suffering from epilepsy, diabetes, heart diseases, diseases related to the lung, kidneys, liver or intestinal disorders are not eligible to take the abortion pill. You don’t need doctor’s help to take this pill as you can take it at your home, but you should consider two or three visits to the clinic. The cost of abortion pill is affordable for people with middle income.
RU-486 works by blocking progesterone, a hormone which is needed to maintain the pregnancy. When this hormone is blocked, the lining of the uterus begins to shed, which is followed by the softening and dilation of the cervix. Some women might have a bit of bleeding too. The pill also induces contractions of the uterus which is followed by the expulsion of the fetus within 6 to 8 hours, which is termed as miscarriage.
• Cramping and bleeding are normal to happen during the termination of pregnancy. But if the cramping persists or becomes severe, this consider as a side effect of taking the abortion pill.
• Nausea, dizziness, headache, extreme back pain, diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal pain are all side effects of taking the abortion pill.
• Vaginal spotting 9 to 14 days after the termination procedure is done as well as fatigue are also side effects of the abortion bill.
• Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) is a rare side effect of taking the abortion pill which some women experience.
• Abortion pills can fail to terminate the pregnancy which will then lead to a surgical termination.
• If the abortion pill failed to terminate the pregnancy and then this pregnancy continues that can pose high risks of fetal deformities.