The appearance of pregnancy stretch marks presents a risk to any pregnant women. They are painless and not harmful. Stretch marks start out as red streaks and if not handled they turn silvery. The appearance of these marks can be reduced or prevented if the mom acts early in her pregnancy. And here are some tips to follow in order to prevent the appearance of stretch marks.
1. Drink lots of water. Water helps detoxify your body and keep you hydrated and refreshed throughout the day. Water also keeps your skin cells plump making your skin healthier and less prone to stretch marks. It is recommended to drink from 8 to 10 glasses of water a day to get a healthier skin and body.
2. Follow a healthy diet. Eat foods that are rich in antioxidants such as spinach, blueberries, and strawberries as it will greatly help in improving the elasticity of your skin. Vitamin E is good for protecting skin cell membranes, so you should eat foods such as nuts, seeds, avocados, and broccoli. Also, foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin A can make you skin glow and repair skin tissues.
3. Gain weight gradually. If you gain a lot of weight in short time, the chances of the appearance of stretch marks will increase. So you should be careful and follow your doctor advices about gaining weight.
5. Moisturize your skin. You should hydrate the parts of your body that are high prone to get stretch marks. Don’t go for the normal moisturizers; choose the one that is made especially for pregnant women. You can also choose natural oil; coconut oil is very good for moisturizing your skin during pregnancy. Moisturize your skin twice a day in the morning and at night.
6. Don’t apply harsh chemicals on your skin. Since many body washes contain sulfates which can dry out your skin, it is recommended to choose a cleanser made with natural oils to moisturize your skin.
7. Brush your skin with a dry brush. Get a dry brush made from natural fibers and brush your body, then take a shower to get rid of any dead skin cells you may have had after brushing.